Don’t want to pay $40 for an Otterbox? You may not have to.
A new online tutorial shows how you can take a basic balloon and turn it into a smartphone case in a matter of seconds. It may not be as strong as the expensive plastic case, but it is far more affordable and easy to make.
To make the case, all you need is a basic rubber balloon and an extra pair of hands. Then follow these steps:
1. Blow up the balloon with your mouth, not helium. Have one person hold the open end of the balloon, but do not tie it.
2. Have the other person place the phone on top of the balloon, pressing down firmly with their thumbs.
3. Slowly release air through the bottom of the balloon while the person holding the phone continues to press downward.
4. As the balloon molds to the shape of the phone, you can squeeze out the last remaining air in the balloon.
5. Cut off the tab at the bottom of the balloon.
Is this the fanciest smartphone cover on the market? No, but it is cheap, easy and fun to make. Best of all, you can switch out your phone case at any time if you want a new look entirely.