Two People Die Trying to Retrieve Smartphone from Toilet

Social media icons on smartphone

Last Wednesday, a woman in China accidently dropped her new smartphone into an open pit toilet, and her husband jumped in to retrieve it.

But the man was quickly overcome by the fumes and passed out in the cesspit. His mother jumped in to rescue him, but she, too, lost consciousness from the gases. But they both died from suffocation.

Four other people jumped in, trying to save the husband and his mother. All four had to be rescued and were taken to local hospitals in Xinxiang city, Henan.

The waste was only knee high, which may be why the husband was willing to jump in the first place. While it may seem senseless to do such a thing for a phone, the woman had just purchased the new device for the equivalent of $320.

This is not the first case of a tragic death related to saving a smartphone. Last year, a 22-year-old in the Bronx jumped onto subway tracks to retrieve his phone, only to be struck and killed by an oncoming train.

About John Oldshue

John Oldshue is the creator of SaveOnPhone.com. He worked for over 15 years in television and won an Emmy award for his reporting. He covers long distance and cell phone topics for SaveOnPhone.